Yesterday, President Trump celebrated the 158th judge nominated by him confirmed by the Senate. Here are some statistics:
HISTORIC RESTORATION OF THE JUDICIARY: President Trump is transforming our judiciary – appointing a historic number of Federal judges who will interpret the Constitution as written.
- Working with the Senate, President Trump has now had 158 judicial nominees confirmed to the Federal bench – a historic transformation of the judiciary.
- President Trump has nominated and had confirmed, two Supreme Court justices, 44 Circuit Court judges, and 112 District Court judges.
- President Trump has appointed more circuit judges by this point in his presidency than any president in recent history.
- Approximately 1 out of every 4 active judges on United States Courts of Appeals has been appointed by President Trump.
- This historic transformation is only accelerating, with President Trump on pace to have more judges confirmed this year than in 2017 and 2018 combined.
At the White House, President Trump thanked those in attendance who work toward confirming judges who respect the rule of law, including the RNLA. He recognized the importance of judges who respect the proper role of the courts:
And they will uphold our Constitution as written. These distinguished men and women are some of the most gifted scholars, respected jurists, and finest legal minds ever placed on the federal bench.
Together, we are restoring American freedom, defending American justice, preserving the extraordinary vision of our Founding Fathers. . . . In their great wisdom and genius, the Framers of the Constitution separated government power into three branches. Congress writes the laws. The executive enforces the law. And the judicial branch provides an impartial interpretation of the law as it applies to any case before them. This system was designed to protect citizens against the unjust concentration of governmental power. . . .
In other words, the impartial and objective judge, who is a faithful servant of the law, is essential to the survival of American liberty. . . . In recent decades, our system has been under relentless attack by the left-wing activists who want to take the powers of the elected branches and give that power to unelected federal judges. They want to impose by judicial decree what they failed to win at the ballot box. Does that sound familiar to anybody? (Laughter.) That’s really familiar.
When judges write policy instead of applying the law, they impose sweeping changes on millions of Americans without the benefit of legislative debate, public rulemaking, or the consent of the governed. As a result, these highly political rulings inflict painful damage on our security, society, and economy, imposing unworkable edicts on businesses, workers, families, and law enforcements, really, alike. . . . I will do everything in my power to halt judicial activism and to ensure the law is upheld equally, fairly, and without political prejudice for all of our citizens. . . . While I’m your President, we will continue to nominate highly qualified judges who truly love our Constitution.
President Trump, Leader McConnell, Chairman Grassley, Chairman Graham, and many others - thank you for your commitment to nominating and confirming judges who respect the rule of law and are committed to interpreting the law as written.