RNLA's blog featured a wide variety of topics in 2021. Many of these blogs highlighted the leadership of Republicans across the country in voting integrity efforts. We hope you enjoy this recap of some of RNLA's top blog posts of 2021!
10. RNC CHIEF COUNSEL JUSTIN RIEMER TO RECEIVE 2021 CHAIRMAN'S AWARD AT NATIONAL ELECTION LAW SEMINAR (July 14, 2021)
“Congratulations to Justin Riemer on winning the RNLA Chairman’s Award. As a member of the RNLA staff, an election official, and critical contributor to the RNC, he has consistently provided excellent legal services, with integrity, humility, and skill. We look forward to continuing to work with him for the good of the Party and the country for many years,” RNLA Chair Larry Levy said.
RNLA Executive Director Michael Thielen added: “I have viewed up close Justin’s leadership in election administration for over a decade. While at RNLA, he organized our National Election Law Seminar and co-authored our response to President Obama’s Commission on Election Administration, which he also testified on before the Senate. In my home state of Virginia, he effectively and fairly administered elections. At the RNC, he led the counsel’s office through the most difficult election cycle since the Democrat Jim Crow era and now is helping lead the RNC’s new Election Integrity efforts to make it easier to vote and harder to cheat. He is a worthy recipient of the Horn Award and Bob would be proud to have him in the RNLA family.”
9. GEORGIA ELECTION: RNLA EFFORTS AND “INDEPENDENT” VOTER SUPPRESSION (January 5, 2021)
Both current and former RNLA staff led the training efforts for this EDO effort. More than just our paid staff, many of our members volunteered their time to travel to Georgia to help out. A shout out to our Florida leaders such as Manny Iglesias, Joseph Van de Bogart, and Ben Gibson who led a large delegation of Floridians to help Georgia.
While RNLA lawyers are doing their best to ensure an honest election, one non-RNLA lawyer is suppressing the Republican vote. While allegedly being pro-Trump, attorney Lin Wood has been telling GOP voters not to vote in the Georgia Senate runoff. How a Democrat-controlled Senate helps Republican President Trump is beyond anyone’s logic, but Wood has said many questionable things. This has led to people questioning his sanity.
8. AMERICANS ARE BEING MISLED ABOUT GEORGIA'S ELECTION LAW (April 2, 2021)
Last week, Georgia Governor Brian Kemp signed a sweeping election reform bill into law that strengthens the state's election system. Unsurprisingly, the law was immediately met with criticism from those on the left including President Joe Biden and woke corporate interests who easily caved to pressure. During his first press conference since becoming president (yes, his first), Joe Biden made the ludicrous assertion that Georgia and other states hoping to enact election reforms make "Jim Crow look like Jim Eagle.”
The truth is something completely different, which left even the liberal almost-always-defending-Biden Washington Post to conclude:
One could understand a flub in a news conference. But then this same claim popped up in an official presidential statement. Not a single expert we consulted who has studied the law understood why Biden made this claim, as this was the section of law that expanded early voting for many Georgians.
7. GOP-BACKED ELECTION REFORM PETITION CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED IN MI (August 31, 2021)
If approved, the proposal would:
- Require photo ID for voting in person;
- Require those who vote absentee to submit their driver's license number, state personal ID number, or the last four digits of their Social Security number with their absentee ballot application;
- Give those without photo ID the ability to cast a provisional ballot and verify their identity within six days;
- Create a fund to provide photo ID cards to voters who are financially unable to obtain an ID card;
- Prohibit election officials from sending an absentee ballot application to an individual that did not request one; and
- Prohibit outside corporate entities from contributing "Zuckerbucks" which aim to influence state and local elections.
Bridge Michigan reported:
“What we are trying to do here is just restore the confidence and the belief in the integrity of the system,” said spokesperson Jamie Roe, a GOP consultant who is working on the new committee along with veteran Republican operative Fred Wszolek . . . “We’re pretty hopeful and optimistic here that we can get this process moving quickly, and get these enacted into law,” Roe said. “I would hope that the legislature would take immediate action particularly, please if we act with dispatch to get support from across the state.”
6. HARMEET K. DHILLON ELECTED TO CHAIR THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL LAWYERS ASSOCIATION (December 10, 2021)
The Republican National Lawyers Association is excited to announce that the Board of Governors has elected Harmeet K. Dhillon to serve as Chair for 2022. Harmeet is the Founding Partner of Dhillon Law Group Inc. She is a nationally recognized lawyer, trusted boardroom advisor, and passionate advocate for individual, corporate and institutional clients. Her practice focuses on election law and civil rights, commercial, employment, and First Amendment litigation. Harmeet is the RNC National Committeewoman for California and Western Region Vice Chairwoman of the RNC. She previously served as RNLA Co-Chair. She is also the founder and CEO of the Center for American Liberty, a national nonprofit civil rights legal organization.
Harmeet was also honored as RNLA's Republican Lawyer of the Year in 2018.
Be on the lookout for RNLA's top 5 blog posts of 2021 next week!